Get an entertainment permit for your indoor event

PLEASE READ: Events are not allowed during the Stay Home order ( For questions, contact Entertainment Commission staff.

What to do

1. See if you need this permit

You need this permit to hold an indoor event with live entertainment, like a band, DJ, comedy show, dance act, or a fashion show. 

You don’t need this permit if the place where you will be holding the event has a Place of Entertainment (POE) or Limited Live Performance (LLP) Permit. But you do need this permit if you want to extend the hours of entertainment at a POE or LLP.

You don’t need this permit for an event with amplified sound only (like music played on an iPod, speeches, or a film screening) that is entirely indoors.

You don’t need this permit for an event at a private residence.

2. Get permission from the property owner or manager

That could be a:

  • Letter from the property owner or manager
  • Contract to rent the space
  • Special Event License from the Port of San Francisco

If you are the property owner or manager, you don't need a letter or contract. You can just confirm your status on the application. 

The same premises can't have an event more than 12 days in a year.

3. Get other permits

If the venue’s maximum capacity is 50 people or more, you need a temporary or permanent Place of Assembly Permit from the Fire Department. We need a copy of this permit. If you don't already have this permit, call the SF Fire Department at 415-558-3300. You may need a fire inspection. 

If you’re serving food or drink, you will need a permit from the SF Department of Public Health. This permit would be either the Temporary Event Health Permit for the event, or the establishment's permanent Food Permit to Operate. We need a copy of this permit. 

If you’re serving alcohol, you need a permit from the local ABC office and the Police District Station where the event is located

4. Get your documents ready

You will need the details of the entertainment and hours. You will also need your event floorplan (hand-drawn is acceptable). The floorplan must show where you will you have:

- entertainment

- entrances and exits
- security guards

If you have a security plan, you can upload it on the application. If you don’t already have a security plan, you will need to create one by answering the Security Plan questions in the application.

Reminder: you will need to upload a copy of your Fire or Health permit if it's required in Step 3. 


5. Fill out the application

PLEASE READ: Events are not allowed during the City's Stay Home Order and the Entertainment Commission is not accepting applications for this permit until further notice. Please contact a staff member if you have questions. 

6. Pay the permit fee

Pay $470 for an indoor event with live entertainment.

The SF Entertainment Commission has the right to deny an application submitted less than 7 days before an event. Once we begin processing your application, we may not refund your fee. 

Fee waiver

You can apply for a fee waiver if your event received a grant from the City and County of San Francisco.

You can apply for a fee waiver if you, the organizer, get some kind of public assistance or if paying the fee would not leave you enough money to live on.

You can apply for a fee waiver if your event is:

  • free admission
  • open to the public
  • run by a non-profit or community group
  • the permit fee is more than 25% of the total budget for the event
Our Mission

The Entertainment Commission supports a thriving entertainment and nightlife culture that balances the needs of the City’s entertainment community, its audiences, and its neighbors across all district neighborhoods.

Get help

Entertainment Commission

49 South Van Ness

Suite 1482

San Francisco, CA 94103


Last updated October 14, 2020