What to do
Order online from VitalChek.com
You can order a birth certificate online through VitalChek for anyone over 3 years old.
- $25 for the search
- $12.95 VitalChek fee
- $19 shipping for UPS Air (optional)
We charge $25 for the search, even if we don’t find your record. The search fee includes a copy of the birth certificate, if we find it.
If you want more than one copy of a birth certificate, you need to pay $25 each.
We will mail you a copy of your birth certificate in 5 to 10 business days.
You can call VitalChek at (800) 708-6733 to check on an order or if you have questions.
Go to the Office of the County Clerk
You can apply to get a birth certificate in person at the Office of the County Clerk. The birth certificate must be for someone:
- born in San Francisco
- born after 1906
- over 3 years old
The person applying must bring an unexpired government-issued photo ID.
To save time, you can also bring your completed application form.
You can pay by cash, credit card or check (from a US bank). You can also pay by money order or cashiers check, in US dollars.
1. Fill out the form
Download the PDF and fill out your details.
2. Get the statement notarized
Take your form to a notary public and have it notarized.
You don’t need to have your application notarized for an Informational Copy. Informational copies are certified, but have “Informational: Not a valid document to establish identity” printed on them.
3. Mail your application
You must include:
- your application
- notarized sworn statement
- self-addressed, stamped envelope
- $25 payment
You can pay by money order or personal check. Your personal check must:
- have the account holders name printed on it
- be from a bank in the USA
- payable to "SF County Clerk"
You should get your birth certificate in 5 to 10 business days.
Who can get a birth certificate
You can apply for a Certified Authorized Copy of a birth certificate for:
- Your child
- Your spouse, parent, grandparent, grandchild, sibling, or state-registered domestic partner
Anyone can request an informational copy of a birth certificate.
Get a birth certificate for someone else
You can also apply for a certified copy of a birth certificate if you:
- Have authorization from a certified court order
- Have power of attorney and can show a certified copy of your Power of Attorney document
- Are the executor of the person’s estate, with estate documents to prove it
- Work for another government agency and can show your work ID
We can’t give certificates to government employees for personal use.
Last updated June 11, 2020