What to do
1. Check if your business is eligible
- Must be registered in San Francisco
- Can be new or existing
- Can be a nonprofit
- Must have less than $8 million in gross revenue
- Must have a current average of 100 or fewer employees
- Must be a place of public accommodation (open to the public as defined by the Federal ADA). The following business types are not eligible:
- Religious organization
- Private club whose activities are generally not open to the general public
- Residential short-term rentals
- Must submit final invoice(s) to receive the grant if you submit quote(s) with the application
2. Gather information for the application
We will ask you for:
- Your business address (separate application required for each business location).
- Whether your gross revenue is $8 million or less (includes all your business locations).
- Note: Each location requires a separate application
- Whether you currently have an average of 100 or fewer employees.
- Any of the following:
- Paid invoice(s) or quote(s) for furniture, fixtures or equipment to make your business more accessible and/or
- Paid invoice or quote for a Certified Access Specialist (CASp) inspection and/or
- Paid invoice from a CASp, licensed architect or engineer for the completion of the Accessible Business Entrance Category Checklist and/or
- Paid invoice for architectural design services specifically related to accessibility improvements and/or
- Paid invoice of permit fees for accessibility improvements to your storefront and/or
- Labor or installation cost to remove entryway barriers
- Paid invoices cannot be older than July 1, 2019.
- Quotes cannot be more than 6 months from the date you submit your application.
- Labor and installation costs must be in compliance with San Francisco labor laws, including prevailing wage requirements. Learn more about them at the Office of Labor and Standards Enforcement.
- Permit fees are reimbursable when prevailing wage requirements are met.
- If you submit a quote, we will ask you to submit a final invoice showing payment before you receive the grant money.
- We do not recommend uploading screen shots taken from phones. All uploaded documents must show the entirety of the document. Please ensure information and important details are not cut off.
- If you have multiple documents to upload, please aggregate your attachments into one grant application only.
- A completed W-9 (download a blank version of the form here).
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Please read the directions carefully before applying.
Applications will be processed on a rolling basis.
We will ask you a few questions to check if you are eligible for the grant. If you are, you can then apply.
This will take about 20 minutes.
If you have questions about the application, check the FAQ page.
4. What to expect after you apply
We will email you a confirmation.
We will let you know the status of your application by email within 15 days of submission.
Before you receive the grant, we will need:
- A final invoice from you showing payment (if you submitted a quote with your application)
- Photos showing how you used the grant funds to make your business more accessible.
Last updated April 29, 2023