The Community Ambassadors Program (CAP) is a community safety and neighborhood engagement program. We engage, inform and assist community members in San Francisco. CAP also provides a visible, non-law enforcement safety presence in several neighborhoods.
Community Ambassadors are City and County of San Francisco employees.
Community Ambassadors work in diverse neighborhoods to promote safety and connect people to services. We help San Franciscans that are low-income, experiencing homelessness, speak a language other than English, older adults, and more.
Community Ambassadors work in teams to:
- Provide safety escorts: Residents can request a safety escort in neighborhoods where we work
- Report emergencies: We contact medical and emergency services for community members in crisis
- Report hazards: We call SF 311 and City departments about safety hazards, street cleanliness, graffiti and other issues
- Conduct wellness checks: We check on individuals in public spaces
- Provide referrals: We link community members to available social services
- Conduct outreach: We educate and inform the public about City services and programs
You qualify if you:
- Live in or have a strong connection to San Francisco communities
- Have 6 to 9 months of experience with community outreach, security, customer service, or other relevant work experience
- Have 6 to 9 months of experience working with populations such as: individuals facing poverty, homelessness, mental health challenges, substance use, life threatening illnesses, social exclusion, and/or other vulnerable populations
- Can work 40 hours a week, Monday to Friday, including some evenings
- Have a strong interest in working with the public and vulnerable populations
- Ability to read, write and speak English
- Effective communication skills
- Can role model positive behaviors
- Can follow instructions and program procedures well
Preferred skills or experience:
- You graduated high school or have a GED
- You are bilingual and have experience working with limited English proficient communities
You will also need to:
- Provide 2 or more references from past jobs
- Do a background check
- Provide proof of your COVID-19 vaccination status
Learn more about the application process to become a Community Ambassador.