What to do
1. Make an appointment
You must pay for your ceremony by credit card at the time of scheduling.
Ceremony appointments are available every half hour between 9 am and 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
You cannot choose the location of your ceremony. You will be assigned a room based on what is available. Possible rooms include our private ceremony room or the rotunda at City Hall.
2. Invite your guests and witnesses
You are allowed up to 6 guests total. The guest count includes any photographers, videographers, children, witnesses, etc.
For a Public Marriage Ceremony, you must have 1 witness present during your ceremony.
For a Confidential Marriage Ceremony, no witnesses are required.
*County Clerk staff cannot serve as a witness for marriage ceremonies. You are responsible for providing your own witness.
3. Bring your marriage license
Bring your original government-issued marriage license on the day of your ceremony. They will not be available for purchase on the same day as your ceremony.
4. Arrive on your ceremony day
Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
Be prepared for your civil ceremony appointment with the following:
- Valid, authentic, legal government-issued photo identification for each person
- A valid, unexpired, marriage license issued by a California County. Photocopies are not acceptable.
- 1 witness if you are presenting a public marriage license.
- No witness is required if presenting a confidential marriage license.
Office of the County ClerkCity Hall, Room 160
1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102
Mon to Fri,
8:00 am to 4:00 pm
San Francisco Wedding Venue Options
Last updated March 21, 2023