What to do
1. Check if your business is eligible
Your business must:
- Be a storefront open to the public
- Have less than $2.5M in gross revenue in 2020
- Have lost at least 25% of your revenue from 2019 to 2020
- Have had at least an average of 2 full-time employees (FTE) from February 2019 to February 2020
Employees are workers whose earnings are reported to the Employment Development Department (EDD) and receive a W2. We calculate full-time equivalent employees (FTE) where full-time is 1 FTE and part-time is 0.5 FTE.
Part-time employees are anyone who works less than 40 hours per week on average.
Your business must also meet at least 1 of these requirements:
- Started before December 31, 2006 or
- Be a live entertainment venue or movie theater
- Started before December 31, 2016 and be located in a Cultural District or Invest In Neighborhoods Opportunity Neighborhood commercial corridor
2. Gather information about your business
We will ask you for:
- Your Business Account Number (BAN). If you don't know it, you can look it up.
- Your 2020 gross receipts
- Your average part-time and full-time employees from February 2019 to February 2020
3. Complete and sign a W9
We need a completed and signed W9 to process your grant application.
It will be faster if you upload it with your application, but you can submit it later.
You can upload it in the form.
We will ask you a few questions to check if you are eligible for the grant.
We will also ask you questions to see if you are eligible for other grants that are currently open.
This will take about 15 minutes.
5. Wait for our email
We will email you within 30 days to let you know the status of your application.
6. Gather the documents and follow the instructions from your confirmation email
If you are eligible, we will email you the documents you need to submit to finish applying.
For the grant, you will need to gather:
- Proof of a 25% decline in revenue like bank statements, tax documents, or a report from your accounting software or point of sale system
- Documentation from Employment Development Department (EDD) for your employees as of February 2020
- A W9 (Here is a blank PDF W9 form)
7. Submit your documents
Use the link in your confirmation email to submit your documents.
You will also need to tell us your contact information and your BAN.
Last updated May 08, 2021