Request a commissioner for a wedding outside of City Hall

Get married by a County Clerk commissioner at a San Francisco location of your own choosing.

What to do

1. Plan your ceremony

You are responsible for making your own wedding arrangements, including reserving a venue and getting permits.

Once you have your wedding planned, you may request a Commissioner to perform the ceremony as long as the wedding will take place in San Francisco.

You must submit your request no more than 60 days prior to the ceremony date, but no less than 7 days prior.

2. Complete and submit an offsite ceremony request form

To make arrangements, complete and submit an offsite ceremony request form.

You must also submit a $157 non-refundable fee to the SF County Clerk. Arrangements will not be made without receipt of payment.  

Upon receiving the request form and payment, you will be provided with your assigned deputy marriage commissioner's name, phone number, and email address (if available).

3. Coordinate with your commissioner

It is up to you to schedule time with your commissioner. Let them know when and where your ceremony will be held.

Rescheduling or rehearsal time is at the discretion of the deputy marriage commissioner.

4. Pay your commissioner

On the day of the ceremony, you must pay a $150 fee to your deputy marriage commissioner. 

Deputy marriage commissioners are volunteers and not City and County of San Francisco employees.


Get help

Office of the County Clerk

City Hall, Room 160
1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102

Mon to Fri, 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Processing Hours

View location on google maps


Last updated December 23, 2022