What to do
1. Check if your building or storefront is eligible to be removed from the vacant building list
You can request to have it removed from the registry if you:
- Are occupying the property yourself
- Were issued a building permit for the property (for only as long as work is being performed)
- Are listing the building for sale
2. Document that the building is being used
If you are now occupying the property
Get a copy of all of your most recent:
- PG&E or gas and electric statement
- Recology and Garbage statement
- PUC or water statement
- Current lease or rental agreement indicating property address (if currently a rental) or a copy of the property insurance policy indicating the subject property address and policy expiration referenced on the policy (if owner-occupied),
If you were issued a building permit
Get a copy of the signed job card.
If you are selling the property
Get proof of the sales listing, including real estate number or MLS number.
3. Send us the documents
You can also give us your documents by mail or in person.
Department of Building InspectionCode Enforcement Section
49 South Van Ness
San Francisco, CA 94103
Last updated March 29, 2023