What to do
1. Complete the notice of adding an ADU
2. Complete your written declaration
3. Post the notice and declaration in your building and take a picture
You must post the notice and declare it on the same day.
Every page of your notice and declaration must be posted in the common area.
Take a picture of your posted notice and declaration. Your photo must show all the pages and that it is posted in a common area. You will upload the picture with your ADU application.
You must post the notice at least 15 days before applying.
4. Send the written declaration to the Rent Board
Email or mail your completed and signed written declaration to the Rent Board.
San Francisco Rent Board25 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102
5. Mail or deliver the notice and declaration to your units
Mail or deliver the notice and declaration to every unit, including unauthorized units) at the property.
Save your mailing list. You will upload this with your application.
You must do this at least 15 calendar days before you submit your application.
6. Save documents to submit to Planning
You will need to submit copies of these to the Planning Department.
- Copy of your completed ADU notice
- Picture of the ADU notice with Rent Board declaration in a common area of the property
- Mailing or delivery list
Last updated March 15, 2022