The Minimum Compensation Ordinance (MCO) covers most City service contractors as well as tenants at the San Francisco International Airport. The law generally requires covered employers to provide to their covered employees:
1. No less than the MCO hourly wage in effect;
2. 12 paid days off per year (or cash equivalent); and
3. 10 days off without pay per year.
2022 Minimum Compensation Rates: published July 1, 2022
Public Entities: $18.75
2021 Minimum Compensation Rates: published July 1, 2021
Public Entities: $18.00
Poster and Forms
MCO Poster - Must be displayed at each workplace.
MCO Know Your Rights - Employers must maintain copies signed by covered employee.
MCO Subcontractor Information Form - This form must be filled out by the Prime Contractor, who is responsible for the Subcontractor's Compliance.
The San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed the Minimum Compensation Ordinance in August 2000.
MCO Rules: OLSE released new Rules Implementing the Minimum Compensation Ordinance on March 2, 2020. The Rules took effect on July 1, 2020.
- The new MCO Rules replace the prior MCO Regulations, issued by the Office of Contract Administration in 2002
Complete MCO/HCAO Resource packets to download
- MCO-HCAO Packet for City Contractors
- MCO-HCAO Packet for SFO Contractors
- MCO-HCAO Packet for SFO Leases and Concessions
Historical Minimum Compensation Wage Rates
For City Departments
- MCO Contractor Compliance Declaration ( MCO Declaration Word) ( MCO Declaration PDF)
- List of Exemptions for the MCO (PDF)
The following forms may be found on the City's Intranet:
- MCO Form P-360 Exemption & Waiver
- HCAO Form P-365 Exemption & Waiver
If you have any questions about your rights or responsibilities, contact us: 415-554-7903 or firstname.lastname@example.org.