Get an Extended Hours Premises permit

An Extended Hours Premises permit lets a business host entertainment or serve food and drinks between 2AM and 6AM.

What to do

About Extended Hours Premises permits

You need an Extended Hours Premises permit if you want to do all of the following:

  • host entertainment or provide food and beverages at your business
  • between 2AM and 6AM 
  • on a regular basis

Examples include a venue that wants to have entertainment go past 2AM, or a late night restaurant. See how the code defines entertainment

Before you apply, check with us if the Extended Hours Premises permit is allowed for your location.

1. Check to see if you can apply

Email the Deputy Director at to find out if you can get a permit for your location, depending on zoning rules.

Include the following information in your email:

  • Your business name
  • Your business address
  • Your contact info
  • Types of entertainment and amplified sound
  • Whether you have indoor and/or outdoor entertainment
  • Proposed hours of entertainment, including the start time and end time
  • If you are planning to have pool tables or mechanical games

Wait for further instructions telling you if you can apply.

2. Submit your application

Get your documents ready

You will need to include these documents in your application: 

Fill out the forms and email the application and supporting documents to:

Applying does not guarantee you will get a permit. We will contact you if there is an issue with your application. 

3. Attend a meeting

You'll meet with our Deputy Director. At the meeting we will review the application in full with you and go over the next steps in the permitting process. 

4. Pay the application fee

Pay online with a credit card or electronic check.

You can also pay by check or money order. Make payable to “City and County of San Francisco.” 

We collect your permit application fee. Fees are updated every July. 

The Treasurer and Tax Collector bills you separately for the annual license fee.

5. Let your neighbors know

We send your application packet to City departments for their review and approval. These include the Planning Department, Police Department, and any other relevant City departments, depending on the permit you are applying for. 

The Entertainment Commission hearing date is scheduled. The Commission meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month. 

You will need to do outreach to your neighbors as discussed at your in-take meeting and post our yellow public notice at your location for 30 days. 

6. Schedule any required inspections

An inspection from other departments may be required. You will be given instructions at your in-take meeting.

Check inspection fees.

7. Attend the hearing

You will need to attend a public hearing.

Commissioners may ask you questions about your plans at the hearing. They will vote on whether to approve your permit. 

If you still have inspections that need to happen, you must pass those inspections before receiving the permit.

8. Post your permit

We will email you a PDF of your permit.

You must post it at your business location. Then you can begin holding the activity that the entertainment permit allows. 

Renew your entertainment permit every year by paying the annual license fee to the Treasurer and Tax Collector. 

Get help

Entertainment Commission

49 South Van Ness
Suite 1482
San Francisco, CA 94103
View location on google maps


Kaitlyn Azevedo, Deputy Director

Last updated August 1, 2022