Case forwarded to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner (OCME) investigates cases where someone does not die of natural causes. These include people who died:
- Of homicide
- By suicide
- From an accident
- In an industrial-related death
- Without an attending physician
- Are unidentified
- And other cases determined to be under the jurisdiction of the OCME
Body fluids, tissues, or organs may be collected to diagnose what the person might have died of.
Released to funeral director
Contact a funeral director of your choice and make disposition arrangements.
Death certificate filed
If the investigation is not finished, the cause and manner of death may be listed as “Pending Investigation.” We will update the certificate when the investigation is done.
You can get a death certificate for deaths that occurred:
- Within the last 3 years from the Department of Public Health
- More than 3 years ago from the County Clerk
Last updated October 4, 2022