Equity businesses may get approximately $55,000 - $65,000.
Check if you are eligible
To be eligible for grants, applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria, adopted by OOC in coordination with the Cannabis Oversight Committee:
- The equity applicant must have a Cannabis Business Permit application submitted to OOC without disqualifying factors (which include but are not limited to withdrawal, abandonment, and applicant ineligibility);
- The equity applicant must own at least 51% of their Cannabis Business Permit application;
- The equity applicant's Cannabis Business Permit application must have been formally referred to the Planning Department no later than December 17, 2021;
Grant awards must be used to support the Cannabis Business Permit application that meets the above criteria. The OOC will circulate an award notification to eligible applicants. Applicants will then be required to notify the OOC no later than April 1, 2022 of their intent to move forward.
Prepare your documents
You may need the following insurance if you’re an operating business
- General Liability Insurance
- Automobile Insurance, if applicable
- Workers' Compensation, if you have employees
- Product liability insurance, if applicable
Learn about the grant and send in questions
The Cannabis Grants bulletin is available here. The bulletin includes information about eligibility, documentation requirements, and eligible expense categories.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about the grant process.
Need help? Equity applicants are eligible for free technical assistance.
Eligible applicants will get information about how to claim their grant funding when they sign their grant agreement.
Eligible expense categories include:
- Regulatory compliance
- Legal assistance
- Local and state application, licensing, and regulatory fees
- Testing of cannabis
- Fixtures and equipment
- Capital improvements
- Banking and escrow fees
- Accounting services
- Packaging and materials
- Marketing and advertising
- Tax liability of the cannabis business
Get reimbursed from the City
Keep your records. We may follow up to make sure the funds were used appropriately.
Grant awards may be subject to local, state, and federal taxes. The OOC strongly encourages grantees to consult tax professionals. Free technical assistance is available at no charge.
Last updated October 18, 2022