Seal your juvenile record

Submit an application to have juvenile arrests and court proceedings cleared from your record.

What to do

1. Complete the Special Services Request Form

Be prepared to tell us your:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Contact information

Check the box to select "Record Sealing" from the list of request types.

2. Complete the Application to Seal Juvenile Record

Be prepared to tell us your:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Social Security number
  • Driver's License (or other identification) number
  • Contact information
  • Education, military, and work history
  • Arrest history

You may also tell us about positive information that you would like the court to know.

3. Photocopy your ID

Make a photocopy of the front and back of your government issued identification (driver's license, ID card).

You must include this with your application.

4. Submit your application

Make sure your application includes:

  • Both forms completed
  • Photocopies of your ID

Submit your application to our Special Services Supervisor by email, mail, or in person.

Juvenile Probation Department

375 Woodside Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127

Next steps

When we receive your Record Sealing application:

  • We will assign it to a Deputy Probation Officer.
  • They will look at your state and local criminal history records.
  • Depending on your history, they will determine whether your record is eligible for sealing.
  • They will keep you updated throughout the process.

On the first Friday of every month:

  • We file petitions for eligible record sealing applications with the Juvenile Delinquency Court.

On the third Friday of the month:

  • The Juvenile Delinquency Court hears record sealing petitions.
  • The court decides which cases will be sealed.

If the court orders your record sealed:

  • For any case that the court orders to be sealed, the arrest and other proceedings in the case shall be deemed not to have occurred.
  • If you are asked about a case that has been sealed—by employers, schools, or anyone else—you may respond that the arrest or case never happened.
  • If all of your juvenile cases are sealed, you may state that you were never arrested as a juvenile.

Special cases

Information Sharing

Information Sharing

We can only share information regarding record sealing directly with the Applicant.

The only exceptions are as follows:

  • The Applicant's attorney, with a signed consent form.
  • A person with Power of Attorney, with a notarized consent form.

Get help

Juvenile Probation Department

375 Woodside Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94127


Last updated November 14, 2022