What to do
Talk with City staff from the Department of Building Inspection (DBI) and the Fire Department before you submit.
The Planning Department offers a different pre-application meeting. See the process and requirements for a Planning pre-application meeting.
You only need to include the Fire Department if you are building 3 units or more.
1. Decide if you need a pre-application meeting
The meeting gives you a chance to ask questions before you submit your permit application.
Pre-application meetings are helpful if your project is particularly complex or you are unsure of your building permit code interpretation.
2. Fill out the pre-application packet
3. Send us your pre-application packet
Plan review supervisor for DBI Pre-application Meeting
4. After the meeting
You will get notes and our agreements in writing. Attach these to your building permit application.
Our decisions in the pre-application meeting are binding. When you apply for your building permit, we will use that agreement to measure your project’s compliance.
For a 2-hour meeting
Department of Building Inspection (DBI)
- Building review $347.82 (mandatory)
- Mechanical review $347.82
- If the meeting goes over 2 hours, DBI charges $173.91 an hour
Fire (only needed for 3 units or more)
- If the meeting goes over 2 hours, Fire charges $130 an hour
Last updated September 24, 2020