What to do
1. Get a copy of your California Contractor License documents
You must go to the California Contractors State License Board website to get your documents.
General Building contractors
Get your B License to file building permit inspections online.
Get these licenses:
- C10 license to obtain any of the electrical work offered online
- C7 license to obtain any of the electrical work for low voltage offered online
- C45 license to obtain any of the electrical work for electrical sign offered online
- C46 license to obtain any of the electrical work for electrical for solar system offered online
- D28 license to obtain any of the electrical work for garage door offered online
- D34 license to obtain any of the electrical work for prefabricated office workstation offered online.
Get these licenses:
- C4 or C36 license to obtain plumbing permit.
- C16 license to obtain a sprinkler permit.
- C20 or D34 license to obtain a mechanical permit.
- C54 license to obtain plumbing permit for shower pan only.
2. Get a valid San Francisco Business License
You must send us a copy of your valid San Francisco Business License. You may include a temporary Business Tax Certificate instead of a San Francisco Business license.
3. Get a copy of your worker’s compensation certification
You may have to email your insurer to get this document.
4. Fill out the contractor agreement form
5. Scan or take a picture of your valid driver’s license
We need a copy of your valid driver’s license to register.
6. Send us these documents
Gather items 1 to 5 and send them to us in one email:
- Contractors licenses
- San Francisco Business license
- Worker's compensation certificate
- Completed contractor agreement form
- Your driver's license
It takes us longer to process incomplete packets.
Department of Building InspectionAttn: Online Permitting / DBI - Management Information Services
49 South Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94103
7. Wait for our email
It will take at least 1 week to process your application. We will check your license and documents for completeness.
Once we have received all required documentation, we will email you your username and password.
Additional fees for some online permits
For Electrical, Plumbing and Boiler permits, we will apply a convenience fee of up to 2.5% (with a minimum of $2.00) for all online permit filings. This fee is in addition to all current DBI Fees.
If you do not qualify to register online
Last updated January 26, 2023