Public records and subpoenas

The San Francisco Department of Public Health has issued these procedures to improve its ability to provide public records under the San Francisco Sunshine Ordinance, SF Administrative Code – Chapter 67, and the California Public Records Act, Government Code Section 6250 et. seq. These procedures ensure that all persons seeking public records will receive prompt, accurate and courteous service without disrupting Departmental staff's other operational duties.

Procedures for public records requests

Public records requests may be directed to the Department of Public Health in the following ways: 


Please note that medical records requests are NOT public records requests. Medical records can be requested in the following ways: 

  • Fax request to 628-206-8623 

  • Visit the Medical Records Office in person at 1001 Potrero Ave, Building 5, 2nd Floor, Room 2B. 

Procedures for subpoenas

All subpoenas must be served per the California Evidence Code. No subpoenas concerning personal matters will be accepted. 


Subpoenas for Medical Records: 


Subpoenas for Hospital/Facility Billing Records: 


Subpoenas for Physician Billing Records: 


Subpoenas for Radiology Records: 

  • Fax to (628) 206-8946.  


Subpoenas for Personnel Records: 


All other subpoenas: 

  • In person to Office #200 at City Hall, 1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place, San Francisco 94102. 


Subpoena duces tecum, requiring documents, must be delivered with a $15 check payable to the SFDPH. Deposition subpoenas must be submitted with a $275 check payable to SFDPH. 

Looking for birth, death or marriage records?

Birth and death certificates from the past 3 years can be obtained from the Department of Public Health Office of Vital Records.   


Birth and death certificates older than 3 years can be obtained from the Office of the County Clerk. 


Records concerning marriage or dissolution of marriage are not kept by the Department of Public Health. Marriage certificates can be obtained from the Office of the Assessor-Recorder. Dissolution of marriage certificates can be obtained from the Superior Court of California. 

Last updated February 8, 2023