FAQs - Grant to make your business accessible

This will help you with questions you may have about the grant application

Is there an application deadline?

No. Applications accepted on a rolling basis

Is the $2.5 million gross revenue for the entire business?

Yes, not per location. Note: Each location requires a separate application.

Use your most recent tax return if you have filed, or estimate your total revenue for the previous calendar year. We may ask for verification if you are selected.

If you are a new business and do not have revenue from the previous year, enter 0.

What is a new business?

A business or nonprofit registered as a business, has leased a location, and is not yet open for business.

(Note: nonprofits must have a revenue generation model)

What are examples of Furniture, Fixtures or Equipment (FFE)?

Furniture are items that are not affixed to a wall, doorway or floor, such as bar counters with a lower section, dining table bases, or sales counter with ADA POS section.

Fixtures are items affixed to a wall, the floor or entryway. Fixtures and equipment can be interchangeable. These include bathroom bars, sink, toilets, towel dispenser, door handles or signage.

Equipment generally requires electricity to operate, such as assistive technology devices, power doors and buttons.


Can I receive tentative approval for a quote?

Yes, but we will ask for your the final invoice and other requirements before you receive the grant payment.

Can invoices for an hourly ADA assessment qualify?

No, this grant reimburses for a complete CASp inspection and report.

Is a CASp inspection and report required, before submitting an FFE invoice or quote?

No, but we recommend you get an inspection and report to ensure the furniture, fixtures and/or equipment meet accessibility standards.

Who are CASp inspectors and what are CASp inspection reports? Why are these important?

A Certified Access Specialist (CASp) is a professional who has passed an examination and has been certified by the State of California to have specialized knowledge of the applicability of state and federal construction-related accessibility standards. A CASp will know which standards apply to your property based on the age of your facility and its history of improvements. While a licensed design professional, such as an architect or engineer, can provide you an access compliance evaluation of your facility, only a CASp can provide services that offer you “qualified defendant” status in a construction-related accessibility lawsuit.

About the CASp inspection report

  • Your CASp inspector should pull a full building permit history and include a summary of the remodeling work in the report in order to place the context or previous triggers for access under Californian Building Code.
  • The CASp report should describe both the building and its characteristics such as on-site parking, and the occupancy type such as M-retail or A-dining banquet and bar.
  • The CASp report should identify all of the barriers, following the format of the priority table in the ADA where the 1st priority is the entrance, the 2nd priority is the path of travel, 3rd priority is the restrooms, tables and chairs, and counters.
  • The report should have photos of the barriers.
  • Your CASp inspector should be capable of identifying both problems and solutions.
  • And last of all, your CASp inspector should help you assemble a plan for barrier removal that is tailored to your site and your financial circumstances. 

Is there a deadline to submit final invoices for submitted quotes?

No. The Office of Small Business will work with each applicant on a reasonable timeframe.

Why is labor cost not reimbursed?

Grants issued by the City requires San Francisco’s prevailing wage. Accounting for prevailing wage is challenging for both applicants and the Office of Small Business.


What are examples of non-reimbursable labor cost?

Installation of power doors, or bathroom fixtures.

Custom made furniture such as a bar counter, sale or reception counter.


Are itemized labor costs required for an invoice or quote?

Yes, unless excluded from the invoice and it states so. Itemized labor cost is not required when furniture, fixtures and/or equipment are pre-made and purchased from a store.


Is an invoice or quote rejected when the labor cost is not itemized?

Not immediately. It will delay the approval and resubmission is likely required.

Is there a limit to the number of invoices or quotes submitted at one time?

No. Make sure each document is labeled as an invoice or a quote.

What is a place of public accommodation?

Is a business or nonprofit that is open to the public, such as, but not limited to: restaurants, retailers, hair or nail salons, doctors' offices, and day care centers.


Are there other financial support to offset accessibility costs not covered by the grant?

Yes. There are annual Federal Tax Credits and Deductions. Consult your tax accountant to confirm allowable expenditures.


Are permit fees covered under this grant?

Yes. Permit fees you have paid for to make your business accessible are eligible under this grant program.  You will need to show us you paid for the permit(s) associated with the address of your business. 

Last updated November 16, 2022