What to do
1. Check if you meet the eligibility criteria
You must have household assets below a certain level. For example, if you have 3 people in your household, you cannot have more than $249,000 in any savings, checking, or investment accounts. See details about household asset requirements.
Generally, you must meet at least 3 of these conditions:
- Have been arrested for cannabis offenses, including as a juvenile
- Have a close relative who was arrested for cannabis offenses, including as a juvenile
- Lost housing in San Francisco through eviction, foreclosure or subsidy cancellation
- Attended school in the San Francisco Unified School District for 5 years
- Lived in San Francisco census tracts for 5 years, where at least 17% of households were at or below the federal poverty level
Check the map
- Have a household income below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) in San Francisco in 2019
The following are 80% AMI by household size in 2019:
- For 1 person, $71,700
- For 2 people, $82,000
- For 3 people, $92,250
- For 4 people, $102,500
- For 5 people, $110,700
- For 6 people, $118,900
- For 7 people, $127,100
- For 8 people, $135,300
- For 9 people, $143,500
2. Gather your documents
You will need to have proof of household assets, household debts, and how you meet equity conditions.
You can upload pictures you’ve taken of documents. If you are uploading pictures, make sure the photos are clear so we can read it.
You can also give the Office of Cannabis your documents in person.
3. Get verified as an Equity Applicant
We will review the documents that you submit.
After you are verified
- We will send you your unique Equity Applicant ID number.
- Determine what ownership percentage and role you intend to hold.
- Get free legal help from the Cannabis Law Committee of the Bar Association of San Francisco, if you want. Ask the Office of Cannabis to get matched.
- Partner with an incubator business if you want. Check the list of Equity Incubators and what kind of support they offer.
- See what you need to do when applying for a cannabis business permit.
- We will send you a link for part 1 of the permit application. You’ll need to use your unique Equity Applicant ID number to apply.
- Apply for a Cannabis Business Permit, Part 1.
Last updated September 11, 2020