What to do
Start this process as soon as you send in Cannabis Permit Part 1.
1. Decide who needs to get a background check
All your business owners should get a background check.
An owner can be:
- a person or entity with an ownership interest of 20% or more of your business
- the chief executive officer
- members of the board of directors of a nonprofit
- any person or entity that influences how your business will be run
2. Print out the background check form
Each owner needs to fill out their own background check form.
3. Bring the form to the SF Police Department
1245 3rd Street
San Francisco, CA 94158
4. Pay the fee
Pay by check or money order only. You cannot pay by cash or credit card.
The SF Police Department will take your fingerprints. They will then run your record with the California Department of Justice.
Owners outside of San Francisco
Contact the Office of Cannabis for next steps.
If you have low or no income, you may be eligible for a fee waiver.
Last updated November 10, 2021