Close the street to traffic for a regularly recurring activation

Get a permit to close the street to traffic as part of a recurring activation free and open to the public.

What to do

Existing permit holders: Apply to renew your permit at least 2 or three months before the current one expires. New applicants: Apply as far in advance as possible, ideally at least 4 months before the hoped for start date. The sooner you renew, the cheaper the fee will be. See fee details.

Your events must be regularly reoccurring. They must happen on the same days and times every week or on the same dates and times every month (e.g., 3pm to 8pm on the first Saturday of every month). If you want to close the street for a one-time or annual event or an event with changing dates or setups, or for an event that is not free and open to the public, see street closures for special events at SFMTA.

1. Apply

We will ask you about: 

  • Your contact information 
  • Business Account Number (BAN), if you have it
  • Location of the proposed activation
  • Days and times you want to use the space 
  • You should prepare a written description of how you want to use the space and include it with your application:
  • A general description of how the space will be used
    • “Run of show” listing the times for set-up, event activities, and breakdown/clean-up.
    • Staffing – for barricades, security, cleaning, etc.
    • Whether there will be any entertainment, music, or amplified sound.
    • If alcohol is being served, details on what is being served, by whom, and what license arrangements will be pursued.
    • Security arrangements – overall security plan, including number of staff assigned to function, and name of security company if applicable.
    • Estimate of attendance and of crowd capacity of space; arrangements for when event nears capacity.
    • Waste management and recycling plan.
    • Proposed outreach plan to inform residents and businesses on the block(s) to be closed, and other impacted stakeholders, of your request to close the street. Outreach is generally best conducted after applying and consultation with ISCOTT/SFMTA Special Events staff, but if some outreach has already been done, describe as part of the event write.
    • You will also need to provide a site plan showing the layout of your activation. the site plan should consist of a to-scale drawing(s) showing the street, sidewalk, stages, booths, fencing, barricades, and any other objects placed within the requested closure area and include the following, as applicable
    • All streets to be closed – accurate and to scale, and including features such as parklets, sidewalk bulb-outs, transit islands, bike share stations, and curb cuts/off-street parking access.
    • Emergency access lane (20 feet minimum; wider may be required) running straight through all closed blocks.
    • All elements for the activation set back at least 20 feet from the curb at either end of each block to be closed.
    • Number and location of booths, with food and/or beverage booths clearly indicated.
    • Stages (with ramps shown) and tents, if any.
    • Beer gardens or other alcohol sales areas, if any.
    • Number, location, and type of recycling and refuse containers.
    • Portable toilets (and hand washing stations), if any, including those which are ADA compliant.
    • Any fencing.
    • Any other physical objects that will be placed on the street or sidewalk.
    • Muni routes, transit shelters and bus stops.
    • Manhole and utility covers in the street.

See site plan guidelines.

It should take about 10 minutes or less to fill out this form.

2. Wait for our email

We will email you in 10 business days to talk about next steps. 

We will tell you if you cannot close the street for your event. 

If your street is a good fit for a Shared Space, we will work together on the next steps. 

If your application is better suited for another type of permit, we will let you know. 

3. Provide additional documents

We will work together to complete our process. 

You may need to prepare: 

  • Revised site plans
  • Additional documentation of neighborhood support from n​​​earby businesses and residents, local merchant or resident associations, or District Supervisor 
  • Other permits for certain business activities (see below)

4. Get your permit

We will work with you to issue a permit and make sure you follow all conditions safety requirements.

5. After your permit is issued

You will need to provide insurance documents meeting City Risk Management requirements. SFMTA will arrange for the delivery of barricades for your closure and the installation of “no parking” signs, if needed. You will be responsible for setting up, maintaining and storing the barricades; barricades will have to be stored out of the public right of way when not being actively used to close a block.


Special cases

Other street closures

Other street closures

If you want to close the street for a block party, film shoot, or other event that is not recurring and free, see street closures for special events at SFMTA. 

Other permits

Other permits

You may need extra permits for some activities, like beauty services, entertainment, or cooking, or for things like propane heaters, generators or stages. Check what related permits you need for your Shared Space.

You must also work with the City to figure out if you can safely serve alcohol in a closed street. 

Amplified sound

Amplified sound

If you want to provide entertainment or amplified sound in an outdoor space, you must also get a permit from the Entertainment Commission. You should apply at least 2 weeks before your event.

Get an entertainment permit for your outdoor event | San Francisco (

Cleaning and waste management

Cleaning and waste management

You must follow the City’s zero-waste regulations.  

In many cases, you should be able to use your existing waste management systems. We recommend adding extra 3-bin systems. You may need to add extra 3-bin systems, depending on the specific uses intended for the Shared Space.  

Check with SF Environment for detailed information on holding zero-waste events.


Get help

Last updated October 26, 2023