Close the street to traffic for a recurring event

Get a permit to close the street to traffic for a recurring event that is free to the public.

What to do

Existing permit holders: Renew your permit as soon as possible if you want to continue your events on or after April 1, 2023. The sooner you renew, the cheaper the fee will be. See fee details.

Your events must be regular and reoccurring. They must happen every week or at the same time every month. If you want to close the street for a one-time event, see street closures for special events at SFMTA.

Temporary permits for events before April 1, 2023

You can apply for a temporary permit for recurring street closures that end before April 1, 2023.

  • Temporary permits are free
  • Temporary permits do not require a site plan or documentation of neighborhood support

Legislated permits for events after April 1, 2023

For recurring street closures on or after April 1, 2023, you must apply for a legislated permit.

  • Legislated permit fees vary depending on when you apply
  • You must provide a site plan and documentation of neighborhood support in your application

1. Apply

We will ask you about: 

  • Your contact information 
  • Business Account Number (BAN), if you have it
  • Proposed location 
  • Time you want to use the space 
  • How you want to use the space
    • “Run of show” listing the times for set-up, event activities, and breakdown/clean-up.
    • Staffing – for barricades, security, cleaning, etc.
    • Public/private – whether the event is free and open to the public; ticketed (whether or not tickets or free); or private/restricted (e.g., to organization members only, etc.).
    • Whether there will be any entertainment, music, or amplified sound.
    • If alcohol is being served, details on what is being served, by whom, and what license arrangements will be pursued.
    • Security arrangements – overall security plan, including number of staff assigned to function, and name of security company if applicable.
    • Estimate of attendance and of crowd capacity of space; arrangements for when event nears capacity.
    • Waste management and recycling plan.
    • Proposed outreach plan to inform residents and businesses on the block(s) to be closed, and other impacted stakeholders, of your request to close the street. Outreach is generally best conducted after applying and consultation with ISCOTT/SFMTA Special Events staff, but if some outreach has already been done, describe as part of the event write.
    • Water plan – San Francisco legislation restricts the sale or distribution of packaged water at ISCOTT-permitted events with more than 100 attendees. Most events that are not either athletic or dance parties will not require any water plan.  
  • The activities you want to do in the street space  
  • The furniture, equipment, or other physical objects you want to use in the street space  
  • The layout for these activities 
  • If you want to serve alcohol 

For events after April 1, 2023, you will need to upload:

  • A proposed site plan
  • Documentation of any community outreach and support

It will take about 10 minutes to fill out this form.

2. Wait for our email

We will email you in 10 business days to talk about next steps. 

We will tell you if you cannot close the street for your event. 

If your street is a good fit for a Shared Space, we will work together on the next steps. 

If your application is better suited for another type of permit, we will let you know. 

3. Provide additional documents

We will work together to complete our process. 

You may need to prepare: 

  • Insurance documents, such as proof of general commercial liability and workers compensation 
  • Site plan should consist of a to-scale drawing(s) showing the street, sidewalk, stages, booths, fencing, barricades, and any other objects placed within the requested closure area and include the following, as applicable:
    • All streets to be closed – accurate and to scale, and including features such as parklets, sidewalk bulb-outs, transit islands, bike share stations, and curb cuts/off-street parking access.
    • Emergency access lane (14 feet minimum; wider may be required) running straight through all closed blocks.
    • Number and location of booths, with food and/or beverage booths clearly indicated.
    • Stages (with ramps shown) and tents, if any.
    • Beer gardens or other alcohol sales areas, if any.
    • Number, location, and type of recycling and refuse containers.
    • Portable toilets (and hand washing stations), including those which are ADA compliant.
    • Any fencing.
    • Space for monitored bicycle parking (for events with 2000 or more attendees).
    • Any other physical objects that will be placed on the street or sidewalk.
    • Muni routes, transit shelters and bus stops.
    • Manhole and utility covers in the street.
  • Additional neighborhood support from n​​​earby businesses and residents, local merchant or resident associations, or District Supervisor 
  • Other permits for certain business activities (see below)

4. Get your permit

We will work with you to issue a permit and make sure you follow all safety rules.

5. After your permit is issued

SFMTA will ask you for:

  • Certificate of Insurance with required language (Waiver of Subrogation)
  • Additional Insured endorsement Certificate of Insurance with required language (Waiver of Subrogation)
  • You will receive barricades and paper or metal “no parking” signs from the SFMTA (as part of your permit fee

Special cases

Other street closures

Other street closures

If you want to close the street for a block party, film shoot, or other event that is not recurring and free, see street closures for special events at SFMTA. 

Other permits

Other permits

You may need extra permits for some activities, like beauty services, entertainment, or cooking, or for things like propane heaters, generators or stages. Check what related permits you need for your Shared Space.

If you want to serve alcohol in your outdoor space, apply for a COVID-19 temporary catering authorization with the California State Department of Alcohol Beverage Control.

You must also work with the City to figure out if you can safely serve alcohol in a closed street. 

Amplified sound

Amplified sound

If you want to provide entertainment or amplified sound in an outdoor space, you must also get a permit from the Entertainment Commission.

Provide entertainment or amplified sound in an outdoor space 

Cleaning and waste management

Cleaning and waste management

You must follow the City’s zero-waste regulations.  

In many cases, you should be able to use your existing waste management systems. We recommend adding extra 3-bin systems. You may need to add extra 3-bin systems, depending on the specific uses intended for the Shared Space.  

Check with SF Environment for detailed information on holding zero-waste events.


Barricades and traffic signs

Barricades and traffic signs

Starting in early 2022, the City will begin providing barricades and signs to create the closure. In the meantime, you will be responsible for getting and installing barricades and signs to create the closure. The exact requirements will vary by location.  

In most cases, we will give specifications. You may have to use a contractor to develop and implement a traffic management plan if you have a complex setup. 

Barricades will have to be stored out of the public right of way when not being actively used to close a block.

Get help

Last updated February 2, 2023