What to do
CalVCB is a state program that provides financial assistance to victims who are physically injured during a crime.
You should only apply for it after you've used all available resources, such as medical insurance, disability insurance, employer benefits, and civil suits.
The program can help with the following expenses:
- Crime scene clean-up
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Home or vehicle modifications for victims who became disabled
- Income loss
- Medical and dental treatment
- Mental health services
- Residential security
CalVCB cannot pay for any expense not related to the crime, including:
- Property damage
Get help from advocates
Advocates can work with you throughout the compensation process. They can help you with:
- Complete an application
- Find emergency food, clothing, and shelter
- File a temporary restraining order
- Find other resources
You can also download a PDF application in English or other languages, and send us your application.
Last updated June 15, 2022