What to do
1. Check if you can get a kitchen or bath permit online
You can only apply for a kitchen or bath permit online if the work:
- Does not require plans
- Is for an R-3 residential building only (not historical) with no active complaints
If the work requires plans for an R-3 building, follow the directions to get an over-the-counter (OTC) building permit.
If the work is for a building that’s not R-3, follow the directions to get a building permit with In-House review.
If the building has active complaints, check and resolve complaints before applying for the permit.
2. For B contractors: Log into the online building permit system
If you don’t have an account, you can create one by registering with the City of San Francisco as a licensed contractor.
The system will only show you permits that you can obtain with your trade license.
The application will ask you about the planned renovation work. You can pay and immediately get your permit online.
Options for trade permits
You can apply online for building, electrical, and plumbing/mechanical permits all at once.
You can also choose to apply for only the building permit online. But if you need trade permits later, you cannot apply online for any trade permits associated with that project. You must either:
- Hire licensed and registered subcontractors to apply online for the electrical or plumbing/mechanical permits
- Come to our office in person to apply for electrical or plumbing/mechanical permits yourself
For issues with the online system
Email email@example.com or call 628-652-3320.
Last updated August 31, 2022