When someone in the workplace has COVID-19:
- You need to know if anyone else was exposed (close contact)
- The employee needs to isolate
Take the following steps to prevent the spread of COVID-19 at your workplace.
Find out when the exposure happened.
Talk with the employee who tested positive.
COVID-19 can spread two days before symptoms appear, or before a positive test.
- Find out when they were last at work.
- Find out when their symptoms began.
- If they do not have any symptoms, find out when they tested positive.
- Count back two days from when their symptoms began, or—if they do not have symptoms—from when they tested positive. Other employees may have been exposed from this date until the last date the COVID-positive employee was in the office.
Identify close contacts
Make a list of close contacts.
A close contact means you have been indoors with someone who has COVID for 15 minutes or more, even if everyone was masked.
Inform close contacts
Tell close contacts they were exposed.
What should close contacts do?
All close contacts should:
- Get tested 3-5 days after their last exposure
- Wear a mask when around other people for 10 days, especially indoors
- Stay home and test if they develop symptoms
- Isolate if they test positive
- Read what to do when exposed to COVID-19 for more.
Unvaccinated or immunocompromised close contacts should carefully follow these recommendations and consider quarantine. Close contacts who are likely to infect another immunocompromised or unvaccinated person should also consider quarantine.
You do not need a doctor’s note to return to work after COVID-19. But you use this letter for employers, if they ask for one.
Businesses or employers may also choose to ask employees with a close contact to quarantine. Employers should consult Cal/OSHA for applicable regulations for their work setting. High-risk settings should follow CDPH guidelines.
Do not disclose their identity.
Do not tell anyone at the workplace who tested positive for COVID-19. Not even close contacts.
Last updated June 21, 2022