The Whistleblower Program only investigates specific types of complaints.
If you have a different type of complaint, you may need to get help elsewhere:
To report fires, crimes in progress, car crashes, medical emergencies, call 911.
Americans With Disabilities Act
To report ADA violations, contact the Mayor's Office on Disability.
Building code violations
To report non-permitted new construction, contact the Department of Building Inspection.
Environmental health issues
Contact the Department of Public Health Environmental Health to report:
- Chemical hazards (lead, asbestos, pesticides)
- Indoor air quality issues (mold)
- Unsafe food or unsanitary food preparation conditions
- Issues with garbage and refuse
Workplace bullying (for City employees)
Workplace bullying may include:
- Belittling or intimidating someone
- Tampering with someone's personal belongings or work equipment
- Spreading rumors or gossip
Report bullying to your department's human resources officer.
Criminal activity may include:
- Distribution or sale of illegal drugs
- Money laundering
Report criminal law violations to the District Attorney or appropriate law enforcement agency.
Discrimination complaints in employment, housing, or public accommodation
Contact the San Francisco Human Rights Commission to report issues with:
- Failure to accommodate
Equal employment opportunity discrimination (for City employees)
Contact the Department of Human Resources to report:
- Denial of employment
- Denial of training
- Denial of promotion
- Denial of reasonable accommodation (for disability or religion)
- Issues with termination or lay-off
- Sexual harassment
- Issues with compensation
Ethics law violations
Contact the the Ethics Commission to report violations of State or City laws relating to:
- Campaign finance
- Campaign consulting
- Conflicts of interest
- Governmental ethics
Grievance issues (for City employees)
Grievances may include:
- Violations of bargaining unit contract provisions
- Violations of past practices
- Being treated differently than others in the same situation or with similar problems
Report grievances to your department's human resources officer or to your union representative.
Labor law violations
Contact the Office of Labor Standards Enforcement to report violations of the:
- Minimum wage ordinance
- Paid sick leave ordinance
- Health care security ordinance
- Prevailing wages
Merit system violations (for City employees)
Contact the Civil Service Commission for appeals on:
- Eligible lists
- Minimum qualifications,
- Discrimination complaints
- Future employment with the City and other merit system matters
Miscellaneous service issues
Contact San Francisco 311 for:
- Graffiti abatement
- Sidewalk defects
- Water quality
- Blocked driveways
- Animal bites
- Noise complaints
If you believe your vehicle was wrongly cited, contact the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency.
Police officer misconduct (for members of the public)
To file a complaint of police misconduct or improper performance, contact the Department of Police Accountability.
Contact the Shelter Monitoring Committee to file a complaint concerning the health, safety, and treatment of residents, clients, staff, and the homeless community.
Sunshine Ordinance compliance
Contact the Sunshine Ordinance Task Force to report problems with the:
- Sunshine Ordinance
- Public Records Act
- Ralph M. Brown (Public Meetings) Act
Whistleblower retaliation (for City employees)
Contact the Ethics Commission if you believe you have been retaliated against for filing a whistleblower complaint. Retaliation may include:
- Other punishment