Close your business

If you sell, close, or move your business out of San Francisco, you must unregister it with the City. Based your business type or employee status, you may also need to unregister and pay payroll taxes to certain city, state, and federal agencies.

City requirements

  1. Close the business registration

    Log in to cancel your Business Registration and pay any delinquent taxes on the account with the Office of the Treasurer and Tax Collector.   

  2. Abandon your Fictitious Business Name 
    You must tell the City if you plan to abandon your business trade name or close your business. This is done at the Office of the County Clerk.  

  3. Request Closure of an existing business personal property account (if applicable) 
    If you have been reporting and filing Unsecured Business Personal Property Taxes for your business, you must notify the Assessor-Recorder’s Office and file your final Business Personal Property Tax. Download the closure form, or contact them at (415) 554-5531 or email at   

  1. Close out your Health Permits (if applicable)  
    Complete a business closure form with the Department of Public Health. Contact them with questions at 415-252-3800. 

  1. Close out your Fire Permit (if applicable) 
    Contact SF Fire Department at 628-652-3260 to close your Fire Permit. 

  1. Close your registrations for your Weights and Measure/POS System registration (if applicable) 
    Fill out this form to close your Weights and Measure/POL registration.  For questions, contact their program at 415-252-3884 or email

  2. Close your Street Vendor Permit (if applicable)

    Email to start that process.

State requirements

  1. Close your LLC/Corporation with the Secretary of State (if applicable) 
    Read more and submit the appropriate form for your business type online. You will also need to go online to close your LLC/Corporation’s account with the Franchise Tax Board. During this process, you will need to pay any unpaid taxes, interest, and penalties.

  1. Close your Seller’s Permit (if applicable) 

    Fill out and mail the CDTFA-65 form to the CA Department of Tax & Fee Administration. You can also read Publication 74 for more information.

  2. Provide your employees with information about Unemployment Insurance Benefits (if applicable)

  3. Pay your final state payroll taxes (if applicable)

    To submit your payroll taxes, file a Payroll Tax Deposit and Quarterly Contribution Return and Report of Wages along with payment to the CA Employment Development Department (EDD) within ten days of closing your business. Learn more about the closing requirements from the EDD.

Federal requirements

  1. Close your business with the IRS

    When you close or sell your business, you must file final employment tax returns with the IRS. You also must file returns to report disposing of business property, to report the exchange of like-kind property, and/or to change the form of your business. The IRS Closing a Business guidelines provide all the information you need to close, sell, or declare bankruptcy for your business with the IRS.
  2. Follow the Department of Labor instructions for laying off employees (if applicable)

    The Department of Labor instructions for downsizing and closing explain the federal rules for laying off employees, and offer services to assist you through a layoff as well as plan for and avoid future layoffs.

More considerations

  1. Close all private business accounts 
    This might include bank accounts, business credit cards, insurance policies, vendor accounts, or others. 

  1. Cancel any other government permits or licenses that you have

Last updated June 7, 2023