The Department of Police Accountability (DPA) reviews the police department’s performance. We audit 2 areas:
- The department’s use of force
- How the department handles misconduct
San Francisco Charter (Section 4.136) mandates DPA to audit the San Francisco Police Department’s use of force and handling of police misconduct every 2 years.
The charter also gives us the authority to conduct performance audits and reviews. We check whether the SFPD has followed all laws, ordinances, and policies. DPA’s director decides the frequency, topics, and scope of the audits and reviews.
We use the following criteria to decide which audits we conduct:
- Is the issue within DPA’s scope of authority?
- Does DPA have the resources to undertake the issue?
- Is the matter best addressed by an audit or some other type of review?
Our audits are independent and objective. We follow federal standards for audits.