

## Approved FSTF Meeting Minutes

**November 1, 2023**

**Present:** Paula Jones (SFDPH – Food Security/Office of Anti-Racism & Equity); Anne Quaintance (Conard House); Guillermo Reece (San Francisco African American Faith-Based Coalition); Jade Quizon (API Council); Mei Ling Hui (SF Rec and Park/Urban Agriculture); Raegan Sales (Children’s Council of SF); Tiffany Kearney (Department of Disability and Aging Services); Chester Williams (Community Living Campaign); Cissie Bonini (UCSF/Vouchers4Veggies - Eat SF); Geoffrey Grier (SF Recovery Theater); Jennifer LeBarre (SFUSD); Emily Cohen (Department of Homelessness and Supportive Housing)

**Also Present:** Alice Guittard (San Diego Hunger Coalition); Anthony Singh (TNDC); Cathy Huang (SF HSA Citywide Food Access Team); Danielle Lundstrom (SFDPH – SNAP-Ed); Ellen Garcia (EatSF); Emmy Miller (TNDC Food & Nutrition); Eric Chan (SFDPH – Office of Anti-Racism & Equity); Haley Nielsen (Farming Hope); Hannah Grant (Meals on Wheels); Isaiah Coston (Leah’s Pantry); Kristi Friesen (Project Open Hand); Leah Walton (SF Dept. Of Disability and Aging Services); Lura Jones (Leah’s Pantry); Marchon Tatmon (SF Marin Food Bank); Michael; Nancy Hernandez (Excelsior Strong); Sean Brooks (SF Marin Food Bank); Steve Pulliam (HOTC Farmers’ Market); Tiffany Dang (SF Dept. Of Disability and Aging Services); Tommy McClain (SF HSA Citywide Food Access Team); Veronica Shepard (SFDPH – Office of Anti-Racism & Equity)

Agenda Item	Discussion	Next Steps
1. Call order to order 1:30 p.m.	Call to order at 1:35 p.m.	None.
2. Land Acknowledgment 1:30 p.m.	Paula Jones recited the Land Acknowledgment.	None.
3. Welcome, member roll call, introductions, Cissie Bonini (Chair, EatSF/Vouchers4Veggies) 1:35 p.m.	Cissie Bonini did roll call and introduced the agenda.  Public Comment: N/A	None.
4. Approval of minutes from October 4, 2023 1:40 p.m.	Geoffrey Grier makes motion to approve minutes.  Jennifer LeBarre seconds the motion.  Raegan Sales: There are a bunch of places where my name is misspelled, if you could correct those. I don’t have any other corrections.  None opposed or abstained. Motion is passed.	Eric to correct misspellings, no changes to content and to be approved as is.
5. General Public Comment 1:45 p.m.	None.	None.

<p>6. Presentation – Nancy Hernandez (Excelsior Strong), Updates on Food Programs 1:50 p.m.</p>	<p>Please refer to the recording that is linked on the webpage. This agenda item starts at the 17:05 minute mark and ends at the 50:30 minute mark. Please also find the presentation slides located on the webpage.</p> <p>Nancy Hernandez gave a presentation on the work that has been done on food security in District 11, with the project being known as Feed The People. The presentation was created by youth from Balboa High School. Nancy shares about the work that’s been done since the start of the pandemic, and shares about the financial cliffs and loss of funding that is going to impact their programming and food distribution.</p> <p>Anne Quaintance: Thank you for your presentation, it’s amazing to see the work that you’re doing. I’m curious about the details about what it is that you need, whether it’s funds, foods, and the number, that gap. I don’t know if you’re looking at it monthly, weekly, or a fiscal year.</p> <p>Nancy Hernandez: Our first need is affordable housing. All the people who are in this line are in this line because they are paying \$3k-\$4k in rent, or just because every room in this room is at least \$1k. The biggest problem we’re facing is the lack of affordable housing that is creating this stress on San Franciscan families. I would say the second thing is that in the past, the food bank held a huge portion, they held a band-aid on the wound for a really long time, and the food bank was doing pop ups at schools. Many families could pick up at the school in a discreet way that didn’t feel like they were waiting at the food line. The food bank had to stop that since COVID and does not have the resources to continue that. We have stepped in, and I’m an art teacher, I’m a muralist, this isn’t what I do, but I’m here because I was placed here by the organization, I work with to hold this seat until it’s not a problem anymore, but the problem has not gone away. The root causes are definitely poverty, lack of work, people have had their hours reduced, many families don’t have citizenship which is why people are making less than minimum wage or having trouble finding work. We also</p>	<p>None.</p>
---	---	--------------

have a huge amount of people who just arrived in this country and have zero resources. There's a constant stream, especially right now from Nicaragua, Honduras, and Guatemala, so those folks are kind of floating. We try to find places for them like the Horace Mann shelter or the Dolores Street shelter, but those problems are huge and are above us. When we take people in here and can provide them with case management, we need to be able to give them something. We need Clipper cards to give out, bicycles, clothes, Target and Ross gift cards who need to buy workforce clothes. We need any kind of support services who are in need of food. We've had EatSF vouchers in the past which was helpful, we had the Mi Mercado project in the past which was really successful, but right now there are no resources for that. Every truck that drops off stuff I about \$7k, we do about two trucks per day, and that's about six sites, at least 12 trucks per week.

Raegan Sales: Muchos gracias Nancy, it's interesting to hear about the great work that your group is doing. You mentioned many other services that the task force is providing in addition to the food, and I'm wondering is the food kind of the backbone for a lot of the services, and now that you're looking at that cliff, a lot of the other things are falling away as well, or will you be able to continue providing those additional services even after the feeding programs end?

Nancy Hernandez: I'm not saying we're going to give up because there's no money, it's never been like that. We didn't start this because there was money. We started this because our students were texting us that they have no food in their fridge. We're not stopping because some non-profit isn't going to give us money. We're going to do what it takes to make sure our people have what they need.

Chester Williams: Do you have a way of picking up extra food? I'd like to get in contact with you where you can swing by Meals on Wheels and pick up some extra food that we might have. Is there a way to arrange that?

Nancy Hernandez: Yes, we do have a driver on staff who we send out to pick up donations. We are partnership with the Department of the Environment and they started a working group – Food Recovery Network, and that is organizations across the city that either have food distribution or soup kitchens or other process of distributing food and have the capacity to pick up. I'll put my number and email in the chat. If you have any food and you want us to pick it up I'll send you a pick up truck driver. Thank you for the offer, I appreciate you.

Geoffrey Grier: Give me a ballpark dollar amount on your gap? What's your annual budget? What do you need to run this whole program for one year?

Nancy Hernandez: That's a great question, thank you. I see Tommy's here, he's an HSA person and he was responsible for helping us to get resources to fund food distribution in D11. They were able to give us 1 million for one year to serve 1,100 families a portion per week. The portion came out to be \$13 per family. The 13 dollar portion doesn't sound right, it also includes donations and other things, it is a pretty bag. We make sure there is protein and produce and some kind of grains in it.

Geoffrey Grier: And that dollar amount includes everything?

Nancy Hernandez: Yes, and the responsibility we have going forward is for the second year of that contract which is what's coming up, and that's the cliff we're talking about, and we're going to be allocated \$650k to run a million dollar project. We are responsible for finding money for all the food.

Geoffrey Grier: My next question is what is the gap?

Nancy Hernandez: It is 1 million minus the \$650k.

Geoffrey Grier: Right, okay, thank you for all you do.

Jade Quizon: Hi Nancy, thanks so much for your presentation. It's really amazing to see the network that you've established in D11. I wanted to invite you to another meeting for another food sovereignty coalition that's popping up in the city. It's called FAACTS. I see that you've dropped your phone number in the chat so I can text you. We have a mutual aid infrastructure subcommittee that's trying to set up a process so that we can do things like what you're doing, escalate gaps where we know will pop up, and establish that network so that we can step in and help each other.

Nancy Hernandez: Thank you Jade, I also really want to appreciate FAACTS because I think that is one of the bodies that has been able to advocate, whereas many of the other bodies are not able to advocate. We definitely need a lot of us to keep doing the work, but we can't keep doing the work – somebody has to be advocating for the future. A lot of the people whose hands are tied because of their department and can't fight for more money are saying they're going to stop because there's no more money but the problems will not stop because the city chooses to not fund them. The problems will be exacerbated if the city decides to not fund them.

Cissie Bonini: I want to do a clarification – so the 1 million this year is cutting down to \$650k next year, so it's \$350k short next year. So there's no funding or plan for any funding for any programs after?

Nancy Hernandez: Right, and at the same time we are being told that CalFresh is going to be cut and so a lot of the people who we have taken off of the food line because we got them a card, will no longer receive as many benefits and we are also being told that the food bank that they will have to end their pop ups. A lot of the food we are providing are coming from the food bank, and because of them being de-funded, we will be impacted because so much of our resources have been given by them.

Jennifer LeBarre: Thank you so much Nancy. So the million dollars that's currently allocated, and I understand that there's a gap. When you're looking at this, we have the consumer price index and increasing inflation, is the gap really more because when we're thinking about these things? So if we were to add 2% which is the current inflation rate, that doesn't really represent the CPI price index. What is the real need?

Nancy Hernandez: I would again say the real need has to do with there being affordable housing in the southeast side of San Francisco. The reason why so much of this is a problem is because of greed and lack of good policy. So in our district so there was a decade where they only built 44 units of affordable housing. Luckily when Avalos got in, there were a few buildings that came in. Where we are right now, we are right next to the mortuary, so that property was sold to the city and created as affordable housing. There's 100 units built right next to us. Do you know how many people applied? They got 10,000 applications. There is a huge need for families to be able to survive and work in this district. Every bedroom is more than a thousand dollars. On top of us talking about how much a gallon of milk or a dozen eggs costs and that price going up so much, it also has so much to do with the fact that there is increasing rents and no end in sight to the greed of the landlords that are around us. And at the same time our corridor is filled with empty and vacant commercial units. So there are condos across the street that have been empty for 10 years, there are vacant storefronts all up and down this corridor, and we have lines of people asking us if they can rent a room somewhere, anywhere.

Jennifer LeBarre: I couldn't agree more. It impacts our families. I work for SFUSD so we're serving the population, and I'm wondering as we're working on this plan, we definitely have to address housing. Is there a way for us to understand what your gap is even from the million dollars you received, and then what the cost is for this year? Because I do think, and I'm just assuming because there's a huge issue within the food costs for our meal program, that there's still a gap.

	<p>So the gap is the \$350k plus? Could we safely assume that there's another 8% missing?</p> <p>Nancy Hernandez: I think that's very fair because when we're even estimating, to even throw out the number of a million dollars, we're saying we're assigning each family a 13 dollar portion. 13 dollars can mean a different thing depending on where we are. If I took a 13 dollar check to Whole Foods, I would get a bar soap. If I took a 13 dollar check to the food bank, I could get a case of eggs. It totally depends on what the prices are, and how we're able to access resources when we can get wholesale prices, and that's what we do, and that's how we've been able to stretch our dollars, but exactly as you're saying, the number is even higher because of the cost of everything increasing.</p> <p>Public Comment:</p> <p>Haley Nielsen (chat comment): And we gotta remember that that will be short in an arena that's *already* underfunded</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: Thank you for this presentation, it's so important and thank you for sharing the great work that you all are doing.</p>	
<p>7. Review FSTF Member Application – Hannah Grant, Cissie Bonini (Chair, EatSF/Vouchers4Veggies), 2:15 p.m.</p>	<p>Please refer to the recording that is linked on the webpage. This agenda item starts at the 7:10 minute mark and ends at the 17:00 minute mark. This agenda item was held before agenda item 6.</p> <p>Hannah Grant introduced herself, her background, her interest in the Food Security Task Force and why she wants to become a member.</p>	<p>Forward Hannah Grant's nomination to Rules Committee.</p>

Chester Williams: You definitely got my vote. I've had a chance to communicate with you and have talked about many of the ideologies that you have, so let's see if we can get you on board.

Cissie Bonini: Can you do a quick summary of Meals on Wheels for us and how you plan to bring the FSTF information within your organization?

Hannah Grant: Meals on Wheels is a home delivered meals provider. We've been in San Francisco since the '70s. Meals on Wheels is a national organization but also sort of separate. We serve over 5,000 people in San Francisco. We are a DAS OCP HDM provider (?). We primarily serve homebound seniors, we also serve adults with disabilities and contracted to provide meals to navigation centers. We serve a variety of vulnerable communities. Personally it's really important to me that we try to provide food that is healthy but also tastes good and addresses more than just health. For dietitians, there's a lot of focus on is it healthy and not paying attention to does it also taste good. Is it addressing cultural needs, and because we serve so many people and so many seniors, we are able to collect a lot of information, like objective data about our clients. Also our social workers also talk to all of our clients, I talk to our clients everyday, the other dietitians talk to them everyday. We understand not only what they want from the food that they're receiving, but the challenges they face in supplementing that food. We provide two meals/day to all of our clients. That leaves 1/3 of their needs that they're required to meet on their own. We hear all the time how many challenges they face in that regard so I think that bringing all of that information to the task force would be really informative.

Raegan Sales: How many open seats do we have right now?

Paula Jones: We had two as of when we scheduled this. We also had a resignation from Austin from a change in his work, and today we got a resignation from Campbell who hasn't been able to attend meetings due to work conflicts. He wants but is unable to. Right now those have not been



forwarded to the board. We had two open seats as of this vote, and now in the last week we have two more.

Raegan Sales: Thank you – is Hannah’s the only application we’re considering today?

Paula Jones: Yes.

Public Comment: None.

Cissie Bonini: We will be taking a vote now to forward the nomination to the Board of Supervisors’ Rules Committee.

Cissie Bonini: All task force members in favor, raise your hand:

In favor: Chester Williams, Paula Jones, Raegan Sales, Guillermo Reece, Jade Quizon, Geoffrey Grier, Mei Ling Hui, Tiffany Kearney, Anne Quaintance, Cissie Bonini, Emily Cohen, Jennifer LeBarre

None opposed, none abstained.

Cissie Bonini: Congratulations Hannah, we will forward your application to the board. How long does that process take Paula?

Paula Jones: No, we don’t know. We will forward it this week Eric and we can go through this process. We ask for it to be calendared at a Rules Committee meeting, and then they will let you know when that’s been scheduled. It would be best to appear at that meeting so that you can talk and repeat what you said here.

Hannah Grant: Great, I will watch for that. Thanks for your support everyone.

<p>8. Discussion of changes to the Bylaws, Cissie Bonini (Chair, EatSF/Vouchers4Veggies), 2:35 p.m.</p>	<p>Cissie Bonini: Some quick context to this, so this came up to the subcommittee that is working on the reimagining food security in San Francisco. So there was a request to have a vice-chair for that subcommittee that is not a member of the food security task force. It opened up other topics such as are there other changes we want to make to the bylaws. Since then there has been some changes in the subcommittee, and they feel the need for that position is no longer needed because of some of the pending changes that are happening. We have a couple options as the food security task force. One of them is to table this discussion because it is no longer an immediate issue, which is going to be my recommendation. The other option is to move forward with this discussion, and it would require a couple meetings. Every time there's a change/amending the bylaws, there's a whole process that we have to go through. I wanted to open it up for discussion for task force members.</p> <p>Raegan Sales: I'm happy to table it for later.</p> <p>Paula Jones: I agree.</p> <p>Geoffrey Grier: I second that.</p> <p>Chester Williams: How long will we table this for? Until when?</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: That's a great question. I think we table it until the issue comes up again, or until we want to address it. We don't have to vote on this item so we can move forward. I certainly want to hear from you if you feel this is a topic you want to continue the discussion on. I know there was a really good discussion the last time.</p> <p>Guillermo Reece: Can I suggest we table this until our January meeting?</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: Great, sounds good to me. Anyone else?</p>	<p>None.</p>
---	--	--------------

	<p>Paula Jones: I would agree, I'm not even sure if we need it in January. It was only brought up now because of the issues around the subcommittee, and now it's no longer needed for the subcommittee. I would suggest we table it until we need to make changes to the bylaws.</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: Okay, we have two ideas – discuss in January or table it until further notice. Any other comments?</p> <p>Paula Jones: I mean we could say we can look at it in the first quarter of next year. The thing around our January meeting, it's on the 3<sup>rd</sup> of January, that's a pretty bad day to have a meeting given it's the first week of the new year, so we need to look at if we're going to even have that meeting, so that's why I suggest the first quarter.</p> <p>Guillermo Reece: I agree, I would like to amend so that we discuss it within the first quarter, just to put a date to it.</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: Sounds good, we can bring this back and decide again if we want to chat about it more or continue to table. Does that sound good? All right, we will bring this back in the first quarter of 2024. Thank you all.</p> <p>Public Comment: None.</p>	
<p>9. Update on subcommittee on Reimagining Food Coordination, Cissie Bonini (Chair, EatSF/Vouchers4Veggies), Jade Quizon (Subcommittee Chair, API Council) 2:45 p.m.</p>	<p>Please refer to the recording that is linked on the webpage. This agenda item starts at the 57:00 minute mark and ends at the 1:05:00 minute mark. Please also find the presentation slides located on the webpage.</p> <p>Jade Quizon provides an update on the second FSTF subcommittee meeting that was held on Tuesday, October 24.</p> <p>Raegan Sales (online comment): I was out of town during the second meeting but I am still interested in participating.</p>	<p>None.</p>

	<p>Paula Jones (online comment): I'm also interested in being on the subcommittee but couldn't attend because of working on the data for the Biennial food Security and Equity report.</p> <p>Paule Jones (online comment): I have contacts at the Boston group</p> <p>Mei Ling Hui (online comment): I'm part of a national urban ag directors group with members from some of the cities you raised, Jade. I can ask them for connection support.</p> <p>Jade Quizon (online comment): That would be great - thank you, Mei Ling! My email is jade.quizon@apicouncil.org</p> <p>Eric Chan (online comment): I haven't sent out next steps for the second subcommittee, but will do so by the end of this week</p> <p>Paula Jones: Just to tell everybody that there is a website for the subcommittee and all the materials are getting posted there.</p> <p>Raegan Sales: Is there any homework for subcommittee members or are you just going to continue the conversations that were started?</p> <p>Jade Quizon: It's continuing the conversation around the criteria list, reviewing that, and reviewing the report from last year is still homework. And also help with finding contacts that we're trying to get a hold of, that's also helpful.</p> <p>Tiffany Kearney: Will an invite be sent out for that meeting?</p> <p>Jade Quizon: Yes.</p>	
--	---	--

	<p>Eric Chan: Yes – Tiffany, I did send you the invite for the first two meetings if you wanted to check. I’ll make sure to include you for the third meeting.</p> <p>Tiffany Kearney: I didn’t get the first one but definitely got the second one, but was at a conference.</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: Also there are people that want to attend this meeting and don’t want the full commitment of being a subcommittee member but are very interested in the topic, and they are also participating, and you’re welcome to do that as well. So there’s a bigger lift and a lower lift on this process that you’re welcome to attend, and all of that feedback has been very helpful. Do we need to review what’s going to come back to the food security task force? Jade do you want me to go over that?</p> <p>Jade Quizon: Sure.</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: So what’s happening is the subcommittee is finalizing this list of criteria, and it will be weighted on a scale of 1 to 10 because different cities have different priorities for what’s important to their group. The next steps for the full security task force is the criteria comes back for the final approval by the task force, and then the task force will do a Qualtrics survey and weigh them. That will get us a good idea of what the priorities are for San Francisco. Every organization group has trade-offs. So the subcommittee is really help refine the criteria and will also use the process of rating them 1 through 10 as well. Other questions on this?</p> <p>Public Comment: None.</p>	
<p>10. Budget update and food program level updates, Food Security Task Force Members, Marchon Tatmon (SF Marin Food Bank) 2:50 p.m.</p>	<p>Please refer to the recording that is linked on the webpage. This agenda item starts at the 1:05:00 minute mark and ends at the 1:33:25 minute mark. Please also find the presentation slides located on the webpage.</p>	<p>None.</p>

Marchon Tatmon gave a presentation on budget and food program updates for the San Francisco Marin Food Bank, and how anticipated budget cuts will impact the programs they run and the communities they serve.

Cissie Bonini: Thank you Marchon, it's a tough topic to bring up. I appreciate you being here and talking about this.

Chester Williams: I'm just shooting the long shot, is there any possibility that there might be somewhat of a turnaround, or does it look like it's set in concrete?

Marchon Tatmon: You heard what Paula just said about mid-year budget adjustments. Everything that was depending on the pop up pantries, is dependent on county funding. So unless the Mayor can find the money necessary and decide to fund us, it's not looking good. Sean, if you want to fill in on anything I might have missed.

Sean Brooks: No, that's all we know at this point. The future is uncertain as everybody knows, but with the county being in such circumstances financially and the food bank being in a similar deficit situation, there's not a lot of upside in the short term. A lot of people will be impacted, we're estimating about 18,000 households will lose service over the coming 18 months.

Chester Williams: Thank you guys.

Tiffany Kearney: It's quite bleak, but I'm wondering, Sean, for the food bank if there's been any change up or down in your fundraising efforts. You know the food bank's fundraising efforts vs. other than government sources.

Sean Brooks: Funding has been down since the pandemic across the board, both in private and in public. We're not getting extra tailwinds from that either. We're still up in terms of our private fundraising from pre-pandemic numbers

significantly, so that's going to allow us to serve more participants, more households on a weekly basis than prior to the pandemic. Prior to the pandemic, we were serving a peak of 32,000 households per week. We're hoping to be serving at least 38,000 households per week once we ramp down these programs and get to financial sustainability.

Cissie Bonini: How are you prioritizing who to serve with less resources? I know you're getting rid of pop-ups, but are there other ways you're prioritizing certain populations or neighborhoods?

Sean Brooks: Right now we're trying to retain services for our current participants, that's been our priority. Our waiting list has grown to 7,000 households recently, there are a lot of folks that aren't getting served, and makes moves towards more equitable service more challenging. We have been returning to our pre-pandemic norms of allowing households to only access one of our programs per week. That change has reduced participation and we have just done that as we have looked at our participants across our integrated network. We have not made plans to specifically earmark particular populations going forward. Our pop up program will have to close, so all of those participants who have not been able to find alternative sources of food will lose access. We know what population that is. If we have to cut additional participants we're going to have to think through what that looks like.

Anne Quaintance: Can I ask one quick question about the waiting list? There are 7,000 people already waiting before even thinking about expansion. How long are people usually on the waiting list? Is there kind of an average? Are people kind of just stuck there?

Sean Brooks: I don't have that number but there is an average. Folks have been pretty much stuck there for a while. Unfortunately our pop up pantries all have a waiting list and we're going to have to reach out to those folks in the next few weeks and let them know there's no chance for them to get into those

programs as we've closed off enrollment since the spring. All those folks will have to transfer to waiting lists at partner pantries or go look for other sources of supplemental foods. People have been on it for a long time.

Anne Quaintance: It's also coupled with the end of the other COVID benefits as far as CalFresh, other food options, food pantries, etc.

Sean Brooks: Inflation, yeah there's a lot of bad things happening so it's kind of a double whammy, a triple whammy.

Jade Quizon: Is it possible to know who the partners are in the Bayview, Sunset, and SOMA that operate your pop ups that are going end soon? Just wanting to reach out to them proactively as a part of FFACTS to see what kind of support we can offer them. As we're finding out what the gap is going to be, just trying to get a network of CBOs together to do what we can for each other.

Sean Brooks: Just to be sure I'm clear on your question, the pop up pantries that we are closing down, that is a food bank program that we operate with food bank staff and volunteers. So you can talk to us if you want to understand what's closing. One of the pop ups in the Bayview will be closing in December. We do have a number of partner pantries that are integrated in our system that we're going to try to refer people to, if they have capacity. We certainly have that network of partners and have been communicating them regularly. There are obviously other organizations serving that community as well. They should expect folks to be coming to them asking for food assistance, but I understand they are impacted as well as many of our partners.

Cissie Bonini: Thank you two for being here. As we know the food system is very symbiotic, meaning that if something gets cut here it really impacts other programs. I did want to open it up to other folks that are on the task force, if there's other known cuts or impacts that you're aware of at this time. Feel free to share those with us as well. I can speak for EatSF, we're still kind of



evaluating this. There were some folks receiving supplemental grocery voucher support through DKI. We're still waiting to hear on updates, not sure about that but still trying to figure out the exact impact.

Cissie Bonini: The other thing we want to talk about is city departments, if there's going to be any impacts on food programming we want to know. Certainly if there's anything known now, that would be great, but for sure for the next meeting.

Paula Jones: I did send around to the group the Dream Keeper Initiative, they issued an RFP yesterday. There's a food and agriculture part of it. I will send it to the task force and the email list, so you can all look at that one.

Paula Jones (online comment): HRC RFQ 86 - Cultural Wealth - has a service area for Food and Agriculture <https://sf.gov/resource/2023/hrc-rfq-86-cultural-wealth>

Chester Williams: Is there a way we can encourage as a task force to get some of our commercial supermarkets like Safeway, Whole Foods to step in or am I talking about a much bigger proposal than anyone thought of, particularly as we get towards next year. Is there something we can do to get them to help the community?

Paula Jones: I think I would ask Sean and Marchon around, how do you use the money you get? You probably purchase of food, you probably pay staff for operating pantries, I'm not sure if a retail store could step in this way, but I would leave it to Marchon and Sean explain a little bit around the budget cuts.

Sean Brooks: Our biggest expenses are food and staffing. We are your community food bank and we bring in millions of pounds of fresh produce is mostly what we do, donated produce. We're going out to the Central Valley and bringing in truck load quantities, we're distributing 60+ million pounds a year

essentially, and that's not something that Safeway is going to step in and backfill. They do give food banks and other non-profits their products that they can't sell anymore before they go out of code, but are pretty small quantities unfortunately. I think many of us are taking advantage of that where we can, but it's pretty small in terms of its volume. We don't spend a lot on purchasing food other than paying transportation on donated foods, and we've had to reduce that. We were able to buy more during the pandemic and provide more variety and get to some more culturally responsive foods. We've had to dial back with that so that most of our purchases are on protein, which is typically chicken and eggs. Short of that, we're trying to leverage donated produce as much as possible.

Cissie Bonini: Once the cuts are done, are you going to be at the same level as pre-pandemic or above that or below that?

Sean Brooks: We're hoping to be serving more people than pre-pandemic. Right before the pandemic, we were serving 32,000 households per week, we anticipate with current projections to serve 38,000. A few months ago we were serving 56,000 households. We started to reduce our numbers through the mechanisms we talked about. We're going to be down to 38,000.

Cissie Bonini: Thank you for that, and to clarify, that the incredible cost of living in San Francisco is driving food insecurity, and that has not changed.

Veronic Shepard: Sean, thank you so much. What would you recommend for everyone on this call as a call to action to support this huge blow that's going to hit the entire city?

Sean Brooks: That's more Marchon's area, but I think it's important to talk to your local supervisors about food security in their neighborhoods, and try to figure out how we as a community can ensure people as costs of living and food

	<p>has gone up, can continue to have their basic needs met. Marchon, anything you want to add.</p> <p>Marchon Tatmon: Nothing to add, you hit it right on the dot.</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: Thank you both Sean and Marchon for showing up today and your presentation. We appreciate it.</p> <p>Public Comment: None.</p>	
<p>11. Heart of the City Update, Steve Pulliam (Executive Director, Heart of the City Farmers' Market) 3:05 p.m.</p>	<p>Steve Pulliam: I would like to give a shoutout to all the support we received as we began to relocate. The outpouring of support throughout the community has been pretty amazing. It made us feel needed and loved. In general, the relocation has gone about as well as could be expected. There's lots of logistical issues that we're trying to iron out to make sure that the space works out for us as well as it possibly can, even though it has some limitations. Since the market has been at UN Plaza since 1981, it might not seem a big deal to move across a street, but it's quite different in the new location for set up, breakdown, and parking. In general we're making things work. As for as customers are concerned, they seem to be pleased with the new location. Most of the feedback I've gotten personally has been positive, they think it feels more open and safer. I think it's the same. The farmers, most of them, their job has become more difficult. Most are having to add a couple more hours to their long work day to sell at the market. If we can get their sales to be okay, then we'll be okay. They are pretty resilient and can withstand more than just relocating the market. We don't have a lot of benchmarks, that's one of the issues we had when we were told move. We didn't really have a lot of measuring sticks for whether the move was helping us or hurting us. There are a few things we do track. The one thing that was encouraging was that our EBT sales, our food access program hasn't really skipped a beat. We only have one month's data, we haven't accumulated data for October yet, but for September there was about a 10% increase in EBT dollar amounts/number of transactions. That was a</p>	<p>None.</p>

big worry for us, but it seems like our EBT customers have found us and it doesn't appear to be an issue, but again it's only one month of data. We also track credit card sales, we sort of use this as a measuring stick for our higher income customers. I thought it would increase since people say it feels safer and we're closer to the office workers and City Hall, but we've actually seen a decrease in credit card sales for whatever that's worth. Those are the only things we track, we don't ask our vendors for sale data. I did do a survey of our vendors and from the survey it seems that about 40% of them are seeing 10-20% less sales in the new location. About 10% are seeing a good increase in sales. There's a big statue in the middle of the location, and what we're seeing is sales are good on one side of the statue, the side that's closer to our old location, closest to Bart. That side seems to be very busy, the other side of the statue less so. We're trying to do some things to even that out and make sure that we get people to that side of the market. One of the things given to us for the move was free customer parking at the Civic Center parking lot, and we were hoping that would bring in more customers. However, we're really not getting that many people using that customer parking, and we're focusing on trying to get more people to use it so that it would bring them to the other side of the market that's suffering right now. It's slowly increasing, but we're hoping to do a little more marketing to help out those farmers/vendors on that far side of the statue. On Sundays, our hot food vendors are struggling quite a bit, that's the only major detriment to the move. It seems like it might be getting better, and we're going to try and do some things to help them out. In general, that's all I can report on. I know the UN Plaza is opening back up next week. I think because of the flow through that space, I'm hoping once it opens up, and even with the skateboarders hanging out there, I think it will help the flow and the look of the space might be better and increase customers, but that's all conjecture. We should have October data shortly.

Chester Williams: Why did they move you guys in the first place?

Steve Pulliam: Supposedly they wanted to activate the UN Plaza space, 7 days a week when we were only activating the space twice a week. I believe that the APEC conference was a big reason for them wanting us to relocate and making that space look better.

Jade Quizon: I was wondering if you're still meeting with the project team with Rec and Park, and is this still going to be a two year, is that still the messaging or have they given more information?

Steve Pulliam: For those that don't know, when they first asked us to move, Rec and Park was saying that it was going to be a six-month experimental pilot project at a meeting with the supervisors. A couple months after that, Phil Ginsburg made it a two-year experimental pilot project. As far as we know, that's the timeline we're looking at. In all honesty I don't expect to move back. I'd be surprised if they said to move back. I and the market are planning to stay there. When Phil was selling it to us he said they were going to take the bricks out and put them into storage and if it doesn't work out for you guys or the plaza isn't activated, we'll put the bricks back and get you guys to come back. I did see them put the bricks in a dump truck, so I don't think the bricks are being stored anywhere. As far as communication, Rec and Park hasn't really communicated with us, they're using the Civic Center CBD as their liaison with us. We previously had a relationship and I think they are using that. All my communication has been with the CBD and not Rec Park. I do communicate with them pretty regularly, which is one of the struggles we had. As much as we wanted to fight the relocation, we knew we had to work with them to get many of the accommodations we needed to make the market work. We sort of took a middle ground stance, and we continue to do so. I speak with the CBD on a weekly basis so we can discuss our needs. We did find out the CBD is now the permit holder for that space, which is something that bothered me quite a bit at first, because we've always held the permit on the UN Plaza space. When we moved to the new location, we found out that we weren't permitted for that space, but the CBD is. Now we not only need to work with them get some

	<p>accommodations, but they're permitting the space and allowing us to use it basically.</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: We are all out of time any questions or public comment?</p> <p>Unidentified: No, just thank you for the update. I will continue to shop weekly.</p> <p>Steve Pulliam: Thank you so much.</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: Thank you very much Steve, appreciate it.</p> <p>Steve Pulliam: My pleasure.</p>	
<p>12. Update on the Biennial Food Security and Equity Report, DPH Project Team 3:15 p.m.</p>	<p>Please refer to the recording that is linked on the webpage. This agenda item starts at the 1:46:35 minute mark and ends at the 1:33:25 minute mark. Please also find the presentation slides located on the webpage.</p> <p>Paula Jones provided a brief update on the special meeting that was held on October 25<sup>th</sup>, what materials were reviewed, breakout group discussions, and generated recommendations. Next steps were shared for the November 6<sup>th</sup> special meeting.</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: It was a great meeting and a tremendous amount of work done on this project, so thank you team for doing that. I encourage people to attend. Other comments or questions?</p> <p>Paula Jones: Thanks Cissie, and again thanks for everybody who participated and really called out what we needed to better and look at the data we did have available.</p> <p>Public comment: None.</p>	

<p>13. Updates and emerging issues 3:20 p.m.</p>	<p>Tiffany Kearney: I wanted to mention that DAS is working pretty closely with the Mayor’s Office around APEC and its impact of services in that secure zone. There are going to be a few meal sites that are impacted; there’s also going to be home-delivered services that will be impacted, and also several food pantries and home-delivered groceries. We are strategizing with our partners as well as City Hall to figure out some alternatives for that.</p> <p>Paula Jones: What’s your start date? I’ve seen different start dates for when APEC is going to begin but some of the dates I’ve seen are even on the 11<sup>th</sup>.</p> <p>Tiffany Kearney: The soonest I’ve seen is the 11<sup>th</sup> through the 18<sup>th</sup>, maybe the 19<sup>th</sup>. There is a real critical time frame from the 15<sup>th</sup> to the 18<sup>th</sup>, plus or minus one day for all of these. Some of our larger providers like Meals and Wheels and Self-Help for the Elderly have some solid plans in place, like sending meals ahead of time and doing staggered deliveries beforehand. I think that the pantries and the home-delivered groceries are more of a challenge. We’ve recently had some conversations, Sean from the food bank is here, and try and talk that through and what the impact is going to be.</p> <p>Paula Jones: We do have open seats, if you’re on this call and are interested in applying or know somebody who is, you can reach out to Eric.</p> <p>Cissie Bonini: We are out of time, thank you all for being here today, and we will see you later.</p>	
<p>14. Adjournment 3:30 p.m.</p>	<p>Meeting adjourned at 3:31 p.m.</p>	<p>None.</p>